Thursday 11 October 2012

THE TALIBAN SHOOTS A GIRLS FOR WANTING TO GO TO SCHOOL

Easy guys, we're about to get serious (very briefly).

This is Malala Yousufzai. She's fourteen years old, and lives in Pakistan. Today, she was shot in the head for speaking out against the fact that under the Pakistani Taliban, women are not educated.

She was shot in the head for saying she should be able to go to school.

According to various news sources, the bullet did not enter her brain and she is stable.

It's very nice for us to sit here, and talk about how much we fucking love science. Almost every one of us had the opportunity to go to school, and to learn (even if some of us didn't appreciate that opportunity at the time). Yet on the other side of the world, children are dying for the right to go to school.

I don't mean to preach, and I'm sorry if I'm bumming you all out. I just thought this should noted by us: value your education. Value that you've had the opportunity to fucking love science. Some never get that chance, and some would die for that chance. 

Malala Yousufzai, speaking in 2009 aged eleven: "I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I'm afraid of no one."

No comments:

Post a Comment