Friday 12 April 2013

New American Teaching Legislation Views on the Web

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/randy-turner/a-warning-to-young-people_b_3033304.html
Randy Turner

GET UPDATES FROM RANDY TURNER

A Warning to Young People: Don't Become a Teacher

Posted: 04/09/2013 4:58 pm

Nothing I have ever done has brought me as much joy as I have received from teaching children how to write the past 14 years. Helping young writers grow and mature has been richly rewarding and I would not trade my experiences for anything.
That being said, if I were 18 years old and deciding how I want to spend my adult years, the last thing I would want to become is a classroom teacher.
Classroom teachers, especially those who are just out of college and entering the profession, are more stressed and less valued than at any previous time in our history.
They have to listen to a long list of politicians who belittle their ability, blame them for every student whose grades do not reach arbitrary standards, and want to take away every fringe benefit they have -- everything from the possibility of achieving tenure to receiving a decent pension.
Young teachers from across the United States have told me they no longer have the ability to properly manage classrooms, not because of lack of training, not because of lack of ability, not because of lack of desire, but because of upper administration decisions to reduce statistics on classroom referrals and in-school and out-of-school suspensions. As any classroom teacher can tell you, when the students know there will be no repercussions for their actions, there will be no change in their behavior. When there is no change in their behavior, other students will have a more difficult time learning.
Teachers are being told over and over again that their job is not to teach, but to guide students to learning on their own. While I am fully in favor of students taking control of their learning, I also remember a long list of teachers whose knowledge and experience helped me to become a better student and a better person. They encouraged me to learn on my own, and I did, but they also taught me many things. In these days when virtual learning is being force-fed to public schools by those who will financially benefit, the classroom teacher is being increasingly devalued. The concept being pushed upon us is not of a teacher teaching, but one of who babysits while the thoroughly engaged students magically learn on their own.
During the coming week in Missouri, the House of Representatives will vote on a bill which would eliminate teacher tenure, tie 33 percent of our pay to standardized test scores (and a lesser, unspecified percentage for those who teach untested subjects) and permit such innovations as "student surveys" to become a part of the evaluation process.
Each year, I allow my students to critique me and offer suggestions for my class. I learn a lot from those evaluations and have implemented some of the suggestions the students have made. But there is no way that eighth graders' opinions should be a part of deciding whether I continue to be employed.
The Missouri House recently passed a budget that included $2.5 million to put Teach for America instructors in our urban schools. The legislature also recently acted to extend the use of ABCTE (American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence), a program that allows people to switch careers and become teachers without having to go through required teaching courses.
It is hard to get past the message being sent that our teachers are not good enough so we have to go outside to find new ones.
And of course to go along with all of these slaps in the face to classroom teachers, the move toward merit pay continues. Merit pay and eliminating teacher tenure, while turning teachers into at-will employees are the biggest disservice our leaders can do to students. How many good classroom teachers will no longer be in the classroom because they question decisions by ham handed administrators looking to quickly make a name for themselves by implementing shortsighted procedures that might look good on resumes, but will have a negative impact on student learning.
If you don't believe this kind of thing will happen, take a look at what has occurred in our nation's public schools since the advent of No Child Left Behind. Everything that is not math or reading has been de-emphasized. The teaching of history, civics, geography, and the arts have shrunk to almost nothing in some schools, or are made to serve the tested areas. Elementary children have limited recess time so more time can be squeezed in for math and reading.
Even worse, in some schools weeks of valuable classroom time are wasted giving practice standardized tests (and tests to practice for the practice standardized tests) so obsessive administrators can track how the students are doing. In many school districts across the nation, teachers have told me, curriculum is being based on these practice standardized tests.
That devaluation and de-emphasis of classroom teachers will grow under Common Core Standards. Pearson, the company that has received the contract to create the tests, has a full series of practice tests, while other companies like McGraw-Hill with its Acuity division, are already changing gears from offering practice materials for state tests to providing comprehensive materials for Common Core.
Why would anyone willingly sign up for this madness?
As a reporter who covered education for more than two decades, and as a teacher who has been in the classroom for the past 14 years, I cannot remember a time when the classrooms have been filled with bad teachers. The poor teachers almost never lasted long enough to receive tenure. Whether it is was because they could not maintain control over their classrooms or because they did not have sufficient command over their subject matter, they soon found it wise to find another line of work.
Yes, there are exceptions -- people who slipped through the cracks, and gained tenure, but there is nothing to stop administrators from removing those teachers. All tenure does is to provide teachers with the right to a hearing. It does not guarantee their jobs.
Times have changed. I have watched over the past few years as wonderfully gifted young teachers have left the classroom, feeling they do not have support and that things are not going to get any better.
In the past, these are the teachers who stayed, earned tenure, and built the solid framework that has served their communities and our nation well.
That framework is being torn down, oftentimes by politicians who would never dream of sending their own children to the kind of schools they are mandating for others.
Despite all of the attacks on the teachers, I am continually amazed at the high quality of the young people who are entering the profession. It is hard to kill idealism, no matter how much our leaders (in both parties) try.
I suppose I am just kidding myself about encouraging young people to enter some other profession, any other profession, besides teaching.
After all, what other profession would allow me to make $37,000 a year after 14 years of experience and have people tell me how greedy I am?
 
 
 

Follow Randy Turner on Twitter: www.twitter.com/rturner229
FOLLOW POLITICS
 http://t.co/U61C3YGw0A An excellent and very useful article   thank you 
 Want to make becoming a Physics teacher even more rewarding? Check out these £20,000 scholarships. Deadline 1st Mayhttp://t.co/RVddlJfcaj
 I once genuinely thought about becoming a teacher just so I can tell dumb students "you shall not pass" while I laugh hysterically.
 “: Want to make becoming a Physics teacher more rewarding? Check out £20,000 scholarships. http://t.co/wYw2ARy9Ah”
 Big cheer for  becoming a dance teacher! Whoop!
  IKR??!! Pity much . Never becoming a teacher in a future XD Seriously.Our generation was better tho.
 Becoming a teacher so when I do attendance I can ask "will the real slim shady please stand up."...
 Interested in becoming a teacher? Join the Wall Higher Education Center @ Brookdale CC on April 15th (Monday) for... http://t.co/v7tpRFpSKt
 RT  IKR??!! Pity much . Never becoming a teacher in a future XD Seriously.Our generation was better tho.
 RT : Big cheer for  becoming a dance teacher! Whoop!
1 hour ago from web
 My motto is: If you can't beat them, what's the point in becoming a teacher?
 RT : Gene Simmons, from the band Kiss, was an elementary school teacher before becoming a rockstar.
  , the work you do has inspired me as I transition into becoming a teacher in OKC in the weeks to come. #edreform
 A seed of self-discovery and becoming a better person/teacher was planted with  and truly came to bloom with .
  becoming a teacher and moving to Switzerland!
 Here's a good read to anybody interested in becoming a teacher:http://t.co/UBkfaQyEE5
1 hour ago from web
  hell no ur basically becoming a foreign language teacher lol
 - Omg are you in his appartment on his bed? iIs he taking a shower? - this call is becoming very 1-900 - to talk to a hot teacher press 3
 Learning on Other People's Kids: Becoming a Teach For America Teacher (PB) book download Barbara Torre Veltri http://t.co/SK5BAZyaw1
 Coming up with my schedule for next semester is making this whole "becoming a teacher" thing a little too real. 😳
 RT : R U considering becoming a teacher? Might want to read this first. It isn't what it used to be. http://t.co/crCv8wptjw
1 hour ago from web
 Business is my major but I should of stayed becoming a teacher. Cuz I love math and I'm so good at teaching it.
 RT : Becoming a student teacher a Loyola just to play ultimate
1 hour ago from web
 So, today a kindergartener held my hand for no reason and it's official I'm becoming a kindergarten teacher. #TheEnd
1 hour ago from web
 RT : Becoming a student teacher a Loyola just to play ultimate
 Being a Toddler Teacher is so much fun. I'm thinking about becoming a kindergarten teacher in a couple years! (:
 
 
  • Comments
  •  
  • 653
  •  
  • Pending Comments
  •  
  • 26
  •  
  • View FAQ
Our moderators screen these comments before they are published
Post CommentPreview Comment
To reply to a Comment: Click "Reply" at the bottom of the comment; after being approved your comment will appear directly underneath the comment you replied to.
View All
Favorites
Highlights
Bloggers
Recency  | 
Popularity
Page: 1 2 3 4 5  Next ›  Last »  (13 total)
This user has chosen to opt out of the Badges program
51 minutes ago (11:46 PM)
Maybe in that vein, the politicians' salaries should be tied to, say, the unemployment rate in their state.
1 hour ago (11:33 PM)
This is what happens when you have a complacent populace and a broken system that cannot correct itself because it is political taboo to even mention possible privatization. Bring on the vouchers and charter schools, maybe if people start paying for education, they might value it.
1 hour ago (11:27 PM)
Read the whole story and comments. Teachers deserve respect. Decisions for public schools should be made by those who are in the classrooms and have been trained to work with children. Do politicians tell pilots how to fly their planes or surgeons how to perform the surgeries that they have been trained to do? I don't think so. We are becoming a society where social interaction and working together is not encouraged. Our children need guidance and teachers who help mold them into respectable adults who know there are consequences for 'their' choices and their actions. Every child CAN learn but they have to have someone in their life that believes in them and pushes them to do 'their' best. Teaching should be held as one of the highest respected professions of all.
photo
HUFFPOST BLOGGER
AdamSteel
1 hour ago (11:12 PM)
So we just bail on the kids who need good teachers the most? Granted the bureaucracy is stopping the effective resources all teachers need to maximize their potential but discouraging the next great teacher not to pursue teaching and positively changing the lives of American kids the wrong approach. Freedom Writer Foundation founder and good friend Erin Gruwell is a perfect example of a revolutionary teacher who took on the challenge head on and continues to change the lives of our kids you want to abandon. You've got to be a warrior to be a teacher and I think we can take on the challenge instead of leaving our kids in the dust.
photo
historyrepeatsitself
My bio is hardly micro.
40 minutes ago (11:58 PM)
I respect Ms. Gruwell's accomplishments, but how long did she stay in the classroom?
2 hours ago (11:03 PM)
I disagree with this post. The majority of teachers who are now employed come from the bottom third of their high school classes. Who else would accept a job in a field with the limitations described in Mr. Turner's article. Very few schools are able to pick teachers who truly excelled in school which may explain why we have such a small number of schools that are successful at educating their students. The era of intelligent women with limited career choices is long gone. Many teachers graduate from their college's education programs not because of merit but because colleges need the income to guarantee the survival of their programs. A large number of students in our classrooms are smarter than their teachers and are turned off to education and cause behavior problems because of boredom and their ability to outsmart their teachers. Administrators come directly from this pool of teachers and they have no time with their other duties to properly evaluate, mentor and coach failing teachers. There is no common curriculum in the United States anymore. Home schooling and charter schools teach their own particular views and what they believe whether or not it is true. School is not the melding experience that past generations once experienced. Testing which is necessary as a diagnostic and prescriptive tool has become an obsession, an end in itself. It is easy to blame unions, legislators, testing etc. but the problem is so much more complicated and deep than what this article covers.
photo
HUFFPOST SUPER USER
Kriggens
praying for a return of sanity.
50 minutes ago (11:47 PM)
Teachers don't come from the "bottom third". I graduated with honors and I teach mathematics. My classroom is filled with the lowest performing students in our school because I have some of the strongest teaching skills, tenaciousness, and I asked for the kids who struggle. The "majority" of the students are not sharper than the teachers. If they were, the SAT scores would be higher and we would have less college drop outs.

Where is your data and citations to back up the nonsense that you're spouting?
2 hours ago (10:57 PM)
It is not fair to base teacher pay on student merit unless the schools you are putting the students in are exactly the same (this is nearly impossible). In my years of teaching, I taught children of all socioeconomic levels and all races. It is not fair to compare a teacher who works in an inner city school, has a class size of twenty students (18 of them boys and 2 of them girls/ 95% free lunch rate) to a school that is located near a golf course near gated communities and kids that have every technology known to man. There are such inequalities between the students. And to top it off, if the school doesn't test well, it loses funding. No more educational money if your school isn't doing well! Makes sense right? Take it out on students. Nclb act was and is the biggest piece of garbage.
2 hours ago (10:52 PM)
How deeply this article reverberates within me. I never wanted to be a high school teacher. I didn't want to "babysit" a bunch of kids, be devalued, earn close to nothing (or less than the local garbage collectors' starting salary), and risk being blown away by bad guys. 

I suppose it is my bad luck that -- in need of a job while I figured out what to do with my life and college degree in statistics -- I started to teach high school at a private school. I should have known when more experienced teachers asked me -- six weeks into the semester -- "why are you still smiling?" that I was going to be stuck. How could I know that teaching teenagers mathematics was a skill I would possess in a super-abundance? How could I know that I would never leave the profession once I embarked on it? But here I am, finishing up my 12th year as a public high school teacher, and I feel trapped indeed. I love what I do -- love it with a passion I cannot overcome, and yet I now feel trapped. Trapped in a job I love - and that society dictates I cannot really do, because you are right - nobody wants us to teach. We are glorified baby sitters, jumping through hoop-after-hoop, and nothing we do will ever satisfy the public.
2 hours ago (10:49 PM)
Sadly, this seems to be true. I have had a long and wonderful career in teaching, but it becomes more difficult and embattled every year. People who have no idea how to teach are making decisions about my students and their welfare. I am no longer considered an expert in education, but a deterrent to those who would test kids to death, and use arbitrary information to regulate my curriculum. The future of public education is hanging by a thread and teachers do not have the energy or the resources to fight this battle alone against a very real coalition of big money that wants to destroy public education and use tax dollars to fund special interest schools. I can teach my heart out every day, but if kids do not come from supportive homes, and if concerned parents do not start standing up for public education I am doomed to leave the job I love, defeated by educational saboteurs. I continue to do my best every day to engage my students, despite a rising tide of subterfuge. It makes me very sad to know that the children entering school now will be held hostage to people with power and/or money who have no idea how to teach kids. I do not have the energy to both teach and to fight this tide that is sweeping education. I have to choose to teach, as long as I can.They are wearing us down, one by one.
2 hours ago (10:44 PM)
As a social worker, I often find it hard to read articles like this. I feel for teachers and the scrutiny they face. Few professions have perfect strangers judging them inside and outside the classroom. Now that being said...I become furious when I hear teachers complain about salary and benefits. For the most part as a social worker if you want to live above poverty level a graduate degree in social work is a must. And with that many jobs start in the $20K range. And unless you work in a large organization or the government, a pension is unheard of. Most of us are employed by non profits with 403B our employers may never contribute to. And health insurance..every district is different, I know but I pay over $600 a month for bad insurance and listen to my teacher friends complain about the $50 they pay. There are less options for loan forgiveness for social workers as well. When social workers advocate for themselves, for higher pay, benefits the common response, "you didn't go into for the money". And like teachers we are made to feel guilty about wanting a reasonable wage. So yes, there are jobs that allow professional, dedicated individuals to make $37,000 after 14 years. Sometimes you just have to look a little harder.
2 hours ago (10:39 PM)
Their job is NOT TO TEACH??? Ummm...they are teachers. This country is insane.
1 hour ago (11:08 PM)
BTW, previous comment was meant to be sarcastic reply about the state of education. Realized it probably didn't come across that way.
2 hours ago (10:33 PM)
I love my job. I can imagine having pursued other jobs and interests, but the lives I have touched and my devotion to excessive work loads and complaints of never ending coursework has paid off. All of the comments and the article itself are dead on. It's a hard profession, run by those who truly do not fully understand what it is I do and influenced by those who seek to make money by giving us standardized tests and practice tests and the never ending crap about how that ties in to pay.
But I wouldn't change a thing. NO job is perfect, nothing is easy. Money runs the game. Education, unfortunately, is no different. But I know that what I have out into this world is going to come back to me. And I have put love, devotion, trust, knowledge, patience, and wisdom out there - where can I find a job that allows me to learn and see others learn as well? You can teach a child to excel on ANY test. CCSS has its pro's and con's. 
I would never tell someone not to become a teacher. I constantly recruit students and community members to teach. I have found that selfishness and teaching don't mix, though. I work in a Title I school. I work 7-4 (ok 5...). And dot get pd for anything after 2. But I love my job. I love my students. I know I'm making some difference, and that's enough.
2 hours ago (10:24 PM)
Great post, and right on the mark. I am one of those people who switched careers through an accelerated licensing program, after more than 22 years as a business professional. I put every ounce of energy and at least 55 hours per week into the job for entry-level pay. I love my students. However, I am voluntarily 6 weeks away from the end of my teaching career after only three years. I have never felt so disrespected and devalued in my life, not by the kids but by the administration. The teacher evaluation system in Tennessee is ultimately punitive rather than developmental. We've spent the entire year tracking students through four separate practice assessments in preparation for the big assessments next week. It's all about the DATA! And I agree with what the writer says about discipline. God forbid I try to get a child out of my classroom for disciplinary reasons, even for just one day. I'm going back to the business world where I know I can get a little respect and a lot more money. I'll just have to "give back" another way.
2 hours ago (11:07 PM)
Therapeutic Foster Parenting is rewarding. Not state run, private agencies who have a higher level of services needed for the kids.
2 hours ago (10:24 PM)
This is my third year teaching and I am done after this year. I can't deal with the bureaucracy, the politically correct policies that are damaging our children's ability to excel (*cough* inclusion), and the ridiculous parents who place all blame on me when their child doesn't succeed (or the lazy kids who expect me to entertain them like an Xbox everyday). Education as a whole has been devalued. Everyone is supposed to automatically get A's and go to their first-choice college, and if teachers aren't making that happen then we should be fired. 

I will say that I'm not totally opposed to merit pay because one of my biggest qualms with teaching is that no matter how good I am at it, I will never be compensated accordingly. However, I'm not sure how to make that work without implementing the silly policies mentioned in the article.

Sorry, I'm writing this in a bad mood after being chewed out by a parent--it's apparently my fault that the kid never shows his parents his grades. I suppose I should hide in his backpack...would THAT earn me a some merit pay?
2 hours ago (10:21 PM)
AYP needs to be dealt with as well. Admin will refuse to suspend or expel students in HS just so their graduation %s don't suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment